Tuesday, November 13, 2012

October Writing Contest Winner: Amie Heath

gold

I used to think gold was a simple word. One that described the color of some kind of piece of jewelry that I would have wanted in high school. In looking at the definition it confirms those thoughts, but provides so much more insight:

gold /g?ld/

Noun

A yellow precious metal, the chemical element of atomic number 79, valued esp. for use in jewelry and decoration, and to guarantee the value of currencies

An alloy of this (ex. 9-carat gold)

A deep lustrous yellow or yellow-brown color

Coins or articles made of gold

Money in large sums; wealth

A thing that is precious, beautiful, or brilliant

I like this last definition of gold - a thing that is precious, beautiful or brilliant. It changes my perspective of the word. It challenges the value of the word in my head - makes me wonder what exactly is gold in my life?

It isn't just the necklace my parents gave me so many years ago for my 16th birthday, the color of the leaves in the fall as they shift from deep greens to reds and yellows, burning bright in the soft sunlight. There is something deeper to this.

Gold is a thing that is precious, beautiful or brilliant. The title of the poem Nothing Gold Can Stay by Robert Frost seems to untrue. God calls me precious. His beauty surrounds me and the verse describing the very streets in heaven jumps to the front of my mind.

The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass. - Revelation 21:21

Have we reached a wrong conclusion?

Put things to a narrow definition.

There's a need to broaden our perspective,

change the angle in which we view.

Ask ourselves the question,

Is it possible that gold can stay?


Amie (aka 'bigredhead) has been married for almost 15 years to the Jolly German, who has patience to put up with starter problems on a day-to-day basis. They don't have any of their own children, but have impacted the lives of 100's as she ministers at the North Charleston Dream Center.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment