Thursday, November 8, 2012

Meet Amie

Hello Voices, meet Amie the lovely winner of our October Writing Contest! We wanted to let you get to know her a little better and then share her winning work later this month. Here is the lovely Amie.



Tell us a little about your self.
I love out loud. That’s the best description of myself as I walk day-to-day, learning and asking for an extra portion of grace each day. I’m 39 years old, grew up in North Carolina and originally from Ohio. I married a German and have traveled around the world – literally. I don’t have any kids of my own, but God has given me an extra portion through the work I do at the North Charleston Dream Center and the e3 mentoring program.
When did you start writing.
My heart for writing started when I entered a beauty pageant in high school and needed a talent. I knew that singing or dancing wouldn’t be a very good option, so I chose poetry and spoken word. I guess back then it wasn’t called spoken word, but I did get first place in the talent portion – so I gave up on the life of beauty pageants and stuck with the writing. 
 
What is your favorite thing about writing.
I love the opportunity to share my thoughts, dreams and opinions and writing provides you with a way to do just that. I can dream all kinds of crazy things and use the creative portion of my brain that doesn’t always get used in my day-to-day life. I am a communicator and writing is a great way to communicate!
 
Where do you want to go in your writing.
I didn’t start writing again with any specific goal in mind. I just knew I wanted to go back and do what I love. I guess I always have the dreams of writing a book – I come up with titles, chapters, ideas and thoughts all the time.
 
What is your favorite source of inspiration?
I loved Edgar Allen Poe when I was a young – strange writing with so many turns and twists to a story. These days I like to see how much power is in one single word. To take that and express it on my blog – sharing the day-to-day of life, hoping to inspire and encourage someone else along in their journey.

Thanks Amie for sharing with us!
Want to be featured on Voices blog, enter our writing contest? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amie, it was a pleasure meeting you at the writers' group at Seacoast and learning more about your background. Keep communicating the way God has blessed you to do! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tess! I love the community and encouragement for writers. Saw where you're speaking at barcampchs tomorrow...praying it goes well and would love to hear about your experience. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete