Monday, July 9, 2012

Write When You Can


As a full-time freelancer, I spend my days researching and writing newspaper and magazine articles, blogging for my social media clients and copywriting for businesses. And I have the work of running my own businesses (sending invoices, putting together client reports, looking for new publications I can pitch). 

Oh, I also have a husband, a 4-year-old daughter and a love of sleep. So when exactly do I have time for the “me” writing, the time to write witty and engaging blogs posts for my own website or finally get to Chapter 2 on the nonfiction book I’m writing?

My challenges aren’t unique. Many of us are overwhelmed with our day jobs, families, social obligations and volunteer work so our writing often falls to the bottom of the to-do list. Our Voices leadership group was discussing this at a recent meeting and one comment really resonated with me: to get over the idea of having to carve out huge blocks of time for writing.

I tend to think I need to sit aside at least two hours to work on my book, but more often than not, two minutes is more realistic. Why don’t I take advantage of the moments I do have to write a few lines or jot down some ideas?

We all have 10 minutes when we’re waiting for the kids’ soccer practice to wrap up or sitting in the doctor’s office waiting room. Use those moments to do a little writing. Carry a notebook in your purse or use the notepad app on your phone.

I do a lot of thinking in the car. I’ve occasionally used the recording app on my phone to capture thoughts and ideas. Or once you get to your destination, grab your notebook and scribble down the ideas that came to you while driving.

Yes, I’ll still need those chunks of uninterrupted time to really develop my book, but at least I can feel like I’m making some progress if I make the best use of the time I do have.

How do you make time for writing? Do you work in blocks of time or squeeze out a sentence or two as you can? 

No comments:

Post a Comment