Friday, July 27, 2012

How To: Blog a guest post

This week one of our voices girls Bonnie, wrote a blog about what she has learned in the first four months of blogging. The post has some great information and is perfect for this weeks How To.
 How To: Blog


I have been blogging for approximately 4 months now, and I have learned A LOT!  I really had no idea about the blogosphere before I started. Sure, I have had a few blogs in the past, but nothing I was serious about. I was not a consistent blogger either.

Once I decided I wanted to get serious about blogging I really didn't know where to start. I started seeing things called blog hops, and the word linky being thrown around. I was seriously at a loss.  If you are new to blogging I have a few tips for you.  I'm no expert by any means, but I can tell you what I have learned so far and maybe I can be some help to you.  So lets get started, shall we?


Be consistent

 You don't have to blog every day, but you do have to make a presence. My goal is to blog 3 days a week. A good week is when I can blog everyday, but I don't always have the time, or anything to say.


Get started on a site that helps women grow their craft

The Sits Girls have an awesome sight. They have a daily featured blogger, and tons of tips on their sight on how to make your blog better. They have tutorials on how to do all kinds of things from making your own blog button, to having images on your sight that are pinnable to use on Pinterest.

Participate in blog hops

 What are blog hops? Many bloggers host blog hops. Blog hops are a way to get yourself out there, as well as meet other bloggers. It's really quite simple. All you have to do is type your web address into the designated area on that persons blog and boom there you have it. A link to your blog is there for everyone to see. Other bloggers can go to your site, and if they are interested in what you have to say, then they can follow your blog.

Have an appealing blog design

This brings me to my next point. Design. For me blog design is very important. You know how they say you only have one chance to make a first impression?  If a persons design is not visually appealing to me then I usually won't stay very long. You might think it's expensive to have someone design your blog, but it really isn't. Their are a ton of bloggers out there who are really good, but just starting out and want to do some pro bono work, or do a design for really cheap.  So far I have been really pleased with some of the designers I have worked with. Please check out Yours Truly,  Royal Daughter Designs, Naptime Diaries Little Homemade Housewife, and Mrs. Pate Writes.These ladies have produced awesome desings for me, from full blog design, to blog buttons, and I highly recommend them, especially Yours Truly who did my recent blog design.

Comments

Comment, comment, comment. I have learned that commenting on other peoples blogs, as well as responding to the comments that people make on your blog is very important. If you comment on someone else's blog, they will usually visit your blog and comment back. The more traffic you get, the better. If someone comments on your blog, try to comment back. I kind of think of it as proper ettiquete. If someone calls you and leaves a message, or sends an email, or shoots you a text and you don't respond, it's kinda like hey why didn't you respond to me?? If someone takes time out of their day to read your blog, comment back. I don't always get around to it, but I do try.

Particiapte in social media

Social Media is important. I adamantly believe if you are a blogger, then having a Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest account are vital. You can use these resources to let poeple know when you have posted a new blog. There are many social networking sights that you can sign up for such as HelloCotton.  I think those sites are helpful too, but I have seen the most traffic from Twitter and Facebook.

Advertise on someone else's blog

Last but not least sponsor a blog. Sponsoring a blog means paying for advertisement on someone elses blog who has a lot of followers. Sponsoring a blog can get pricey, but you can find some really popular blogs out there that don't ask you to pay an arm and a leg for advertising. After all, it is just a blog people! I have found out through trial and error who is awesome at helping to promote you, once you sponsor them. Some bloggers have not been helpful, and it's been a waste of money. Here are the bloggers who I have sponsored so far, and who I would recommend and definitely sponsor again in the future. Covered in Grace, Mom 4 Real, and The Fontenot Four. I'm going to do a post in the future on what makes a good sponsor, so stay tuned.

Last but not least, don't take yourself too seriously. If you can't blog as often as you want to, then that's fine. I'm a wife and mom so blogging takes a back seat to all my other responsibilities.  Remember to have fun. This is an outlet for most of us to express ourselves. Once it isn't fun anymore then what's the point? 

I hope I have been helpful. If you have any more questions you can comment below or email me at bonnboutiuqe@ymail.com















No comments:

Post a Comment